Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust

Nick and Sam have been taking part in theatre and acting for quite some time. Arlington Children's Theatre has long been our home away from home. This year, Nick's best friend Mitchell joined the theatre world, first with the school play and now with Seussical. We never in a million years thought that Ben would enjoy acting. I mean you have to get on a stage, in front of people and stuff and (gasp!) they may want you to talk, dance, or sing! This is NOT what Ben is about. At least until yesterday. A potential opportunity arose, by way of an ensemble part (a Fish/Cadet to be exact), Ben said "maybe, just maybe, he would like to be in the play". Al and I kind of laughed it off.  We then found out that the part was vacant and would be a perfect fit for all his requirements (no singing, dancing or acting alone - group is fine). He waffled back and forth, not committing until this evening - right before practice this evening. He said he would try it out and then tell me his decision. This is progress people, BIG progress for Ben. My friend Deb was scheduled to drive all the boys to practice and I thought, oh no, he won't go if I'm not driving him. Guess what? Deb came, he threw on his coat and happily got into the car without even a goodbye.

Al met him at the theatre on his way home from work, Ben could have cared less. I think at this point we are almost an embarrasement to him. How did this happen at 9! With Nick it really happened last year, 13 for pete's sake. We were an embarrasement to Sam at a very early age, like 2 weeks old. Ben though, I thought it would be longer. The last of my babies to love me and only me, just because I am Mom. I still get a few "you're the greatest Mom in the world", generally when they want money.

Anyway, I called Ben in the car on the way home from his first practice and asked him how it went. In his normal deadpan way he said "fine". But when asked if he enjoyed it, I got a "sure" out of him. In BenSpeak that means yes, very much. However, the motherlode came when I was just putting him to bed. I asked again what he liked, he said "everything" and when asked if he wanted to continue I got a big, huge "YES".
This boy is making major strides my friends, major strides!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YAY!! He was so happy in the car, then heap piled out with the rest of the boys and ran inside without a bit of hesitation...you're right...another one bites the dust...and this summer so will Tyler...