Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bite Me

By jnudler
My youngest son, Ben, has a learning disability called NLD which stands for Non-Verbal Learning Disability. It is very similiar to autism spectrum disorders and the docs suspect he also has Aspergers. Hard to tell as NLD is similiar. Anyway, one of the byproducts of this, is that he takes everything very literally. So, for example if I say "It's raining cats and dogs" he will go to the window looking for the cats and dogs. You have no idea how many figures of speech you use each day. I am constantly explaining things that people have said. He also contemplates everything so it may take him days or weeks before he asks about something someone said.
So, this morning, while getting ready for school I happened to find a pair of socks that my Father had bought for me that say "Bite Me". He read the words and of course asked me why I would ever want someone to bite me, as it hurts and all. I explained that people use it sarcastically (again, completely lost on him) and may be meant in a mean or playful manner. Mind you, as I am talking about examples of when it might be used I realize I am digging my hole deeper and deeper. So, discussion stopped and we continued getting ready for school.
We go downstairs to eat breakfast and such and he is then putting on his shoes, which always take him an inordinate amount of time. So I make some sarcastic comment about how long it is taking and he turns to me and says "Bite Me".
I turn, laughing behind his back, and try to explain how that is in fact the correct USE of the expression, but that it is inappropriate to say to me. Nice job Mom!

No comments: